Sunday, September 1, 2013

Blue-Eyed Baker: I made a Napoleon

I made a Napoleon and it turned out really well.

When we went to Carlo's over the summer Kyle bought a Napoleon, ate it, and instantly fell in love with it.  Then when we came back to State College he asked me to make him one.  I was really iffy at first because pastries scare me but I conquered my fear.  I made everything from scratch and from what I hear it was really delicious.  (I didn't actually have any.)

So in case you didn't know a Napoleon is a pastry that is made up of three components, pastry cream, puff pastry dough and fondant.  I was, in all honesty, really afraid to attempt making any of these things.  I'd tried pastry cream before and it was an epic fail, boiling sugar (for the fondant) scares the crap out of me and puff pastry is just a chore.  BUT at the insistence of my significant other I cut no corners, okay one corner with the dough, and made everything from scratch and it was all a success.  I did use a "quick" puff pastry recipe because I didn't have 4 million hours to make classic puff pastry.

So here was my result,

Not perfect but still pretty awesome.

The only thing that didn't turn out perfectly was the design on top because A.) I wasn't working fast enough and B.) the chocolate fondant decided it was the boss for the day.

The recipes I used were mainly from JoePastry but I did, like I said, I used a quick puff pastry recipe from another site.  Today I'm not going to type out the recipes because it's a lot of stuff and I think most people would probably use store bought puff pastry anyways but Kyle got his way this time.

Happy Baking!







No comments:

Post a Comment