Friday, May 24, 2013

30 Day Challenge(s)

On Monday I was watching the show The Doctors.  The premise of the episode was several different 30 day challenges.  One was to be vegan for a month, one was 30 days of sex, one was no TV for a month and another was go on a walk once a day for 30 days.  This episode inspired me.  Actually it did more than inspire, it made me feel kind of bad about myself.

Yesterday I posted a few goals I want to meet over the summer.  None of them were super specific but I really want to meet the one that called for less technology usage in my life.  Now obviously I'm still going to use my oven and my microwave but I'm constantly surrounded by my phone, laptop, TV, and or tablet. Now the tablet isn't so bad because I usually only use it to read and rarely have a Wi-Fi connection on it but the other three are almost addictions.   I can sit and watch TV for hours on end and be just fine with it.  I can check facebook over and over and over again and end up reading the same status updates 10x each and on my phone I almost have a routine, sulk because I have no texts, check facebook, twitter and instagram, and play Candy Crush.  Honestly I'm tired of living like this and so my first 30 Day Challenge is:

Only watch 1-2 hours of TV a day, use my computer for an hour a day and only use my phone for calls and texts when necessary.

Now I should try to cut it all out completely but there are people I need to contact and I want to keep blogging.  Also in a house with so many other people it will be hard to completely cut out TV but I will try to keep busy if the TV is on unless it's a show I'm really interested in watching.

I also mentioned in a previous post that I wanted to exercise more over the summer.  It's really hard for me to stay motivated to exercise so maybe if I challenge myself I'll actually do it.  Also if I maybe tell myself if I complete the challenge I can reward myself that will keep me motivated.  So my second 30 day challenge is:

Go for a 30-60 minute walk everyday.

I think it's safe to say that I previously set my "work out" goals too high.  I never explicitly laid them out for you but they were goals that were probably unattainable for me.  So a walk everyday should be doable.  The first few days will probably be hard for me to be motivated to get up but maybe coupled with my low tech challenge I will actually get up.

I'll keep you posted.  Happy Friday! 

Note: I wrote this on Tuesday.  My mom and I started walking but the technology thing isn't going as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment