Friday, May 17, 2013

Blue-Eyed Baker: Mother's Day Cake

Sunday was Mother's Day.  I hadn't bought my mom anything and I also hadn't planned on it because money has been tight.  So I thought to myself, I like to bake cakes and my mom likes to eat cake (and share it with her coworkers) so why not bake a Mother's Day cake?  That's exactly what I did.  And here is the result.


Gorgeous.

Okay, my decorating wasn't great but I made it at the last minute so I think I did pretty good.  I mashed up two of my fave recipes, Hershey's Chocolate Cake and Wilton's PB Buttercream.  They're both really simple recipes but they always turn out so lovely.  The cake isn't too heavy and I can't get enough of the icing.  You'll also want a nice glass of milk as a chaser.

Yield: 2 9-in cakes

Ingredients:
  • 2 c. Sugar
  • 3/4 c. Hershey's Cocoa Powder (Unsweetened)
  • 1 3/4 c. Flour
  • 1 1/2 t. Baking Powder
  • 1 1/2 t. Baking Soda
  • 1 t. Salt
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1 c. Boiling Water
  • 1/2 c. Vegetable Oil (I also use Olive oil when need be it makes no difference)
  • 1 c. Milk
  • 2 t. Vanilla
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.  


In a large bowl stir together the dry (flour, salt, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, baking soda) ingredients.  Then add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla.  Beat together for appx. 2 minutes.  Stir in the water.  Don't worry the batter is supposed to be thin.

Bake each cake for appx. 30-35 minutes. Mine took exactly 30 but it always depends on the oven you're using.

1 recipe = 3 cups

Ingredients:
  • 1/3 c. Butter
  • 1/3 c. Vegetable Shortening (I use Crisco. ALWAYS)
  • 3/4 c. Peanut Butter
  • 1 t. Vanilla
  • 4 c. (1 lb.) Confectioner's (powdered) sugar
  • 4-6 T. Milk
Cream the butter and shortening.  Then add the PB and vanilla.  Gradually add the powdered sugar.  If need be add milk to reach your desired consistency.  Note: I didn't add the milk and everything turned out fine.


Just lovely.


This was the first time I ever attempted a basket weave.  I've never even practiced on a flat surface.  It didn't turn out perfect but I was happy with the results.  Plus it tasted amazing so no one actually cared.

I hope you all had a fantastic Mother's Day and Happy Friday!

Author's Note: I didn't change these recipes at all.  I did include the links so that no one could say I plagiarized.

No comments:

Post a Comment